For Episode 3 of Wine Soaked, Sommelier Sara Kay brings you Chicago’s only punk rock wine show! Sara Kay punks out with a full meal’s worth of wine sealed entirely with new, non-traditional enclosures–including “Stelvin” screw caps & even pop tops.
- Coopers Creek 2008 Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand.
Crisp and refreshing, reverberating with aromas and flavors of citrus, wet stones, fresh cut grass and passion fruit. Plus just a touch of herb on the lively finish. A quintessential New Zealand Sauvignon.
Price For South Loop WineStyles Club Members: $17.09
- Portrait of a Mutt Zinfandel, Central Coast, California
Wonderful aromas of pure jam (raspberry, blackberry and cherry – take your pick) are followed by Zinfandel’s signature ripe and viscous entry. The ‘mutt’ shows itself in the finish where tannins and cleansing acidity give the wine complexity and drinkability at the same time.
Price For South Loop WineStyles Club Members: $16.19
- Innocent Bystander Pink Moscato, Yarra Valley, Australia
This refreshing sipper offers delicious aromas of watermelon, red apples and fragrant rose petals. On the palate, strawberries and hints of sherbet ice cream are backed by a clean acid zing. Perfect with Sunday morning toast and homemade strawberry jam.
Price For South Loop WineStyles Club Members: $11.69
To order any wines featured call WineStyles Solo at 312-431-9999
or stop by 1240 S Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL, 60605
More about the “Stelvin Closure” wine bottle caps featured in this show
Here’s what the Stelvin people have to say about their special screwcaps for wines:
The Stelvin® concept can be summarised in 3 words:
- Preservation: Ability to preserve the qualities, bouquet and flavours of the wine developed by the wine maker.
- Modernity: Need for differentiation.
- Practicality: Easier use of the bottle.
The Stelvin® concept: intelligent closure…
- An aluminum screw closure
- A liner adapted to the oenologist’s requirements
- A long skirt as a rich and aesthetic presentation medium
…That maintains the quality of the wine by means of an absence of liquid leakage, a controlled regulation of the gas exchanges and an absence of TCA (This is cork taint) and allows perfect regularity of closures characteristics to one bottle at all, so as repetitive.
Moreover, the practical aspects of the bottle are improved by easy opening and closing. Upright, on its side or with the neck facing downwards, the bottle can be stored and transported in all positions.